Sunny California is now raining cats and dogs. The cities are wet, green and cool from the rains. Some spicy snack accompanied with a nice wintery cocktail makes this recipe so good.
Roasted Chickpeas with cayenne and spices
2 cans garbanzo beans
cayenne powder (according to taste)
1/4 tsp cumin seed
Spice mix (Method below)
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
For the spice mix:
2 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp dried lentils
5 dried red chillies (more for more heat; less for less heat)
1/4 cup shredded coconut
Roast coriander seeds and chillies in a tsp of oil. When they start to brown, reduce heat and add shredded coconut. Cook until brown or until coconut loses moisture. Make into a coarse powder using your coffee grinder.
- In a pan, put 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Put cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- Wash the garbanzo after draining the liquid from the can.
- Put the washed and drained garbanzo into the pan.
- Saute for a min and add the cayenne powder.
- Mix and add salt. Keep sauteeing.
- After about 5 mins, add the ground mixture. Mix and let the garbanzo roast for another 2-3 mins.
- Top off with butter.
- Garnish with cilantro and a slice of lime (the lime can be squeezed onto the garbanzo for added flavor)