Cooking Time: 10-15 mins
- Five Tomatoes
- 2 cups – Toor dal or any dal of your choice
- Finely chopped Coriander leaves
- Sambar powder – 1 tsp
- Tamarind juice- One Small Ball
- Pepper powder- ¼ tsp
- Jeera powder- ¼ tsp
- Garlic- 4 cloves (Optional)
- Turmeric powder- a pinch
- Salt to taste
Mustard seeds- few
Jeera- ¼ tsp
Red chilli- 1
Asafoetida- a pinch
Curry leaves- a few
Oil – 2tsp
- Put four tomatoes and all spices in a blender until all ingredients are blended well.
- Keep aside
- Wash dal and keep in pressure cooker upto the count of 3
- In a pan, pour 1 tsp oil or ghee and pour the blended tomato-spice mixure
- After 2 minutes, pour one cup of water to the pan.
- Take a small ball of tamarind and place it in a mug of water that can be microwaved upto 30 seconds.
- Take the tamarind from the mug and squeeze all the juice into the water and mix well
- Add the 5th chopped tomato into the pan and add the remaining tamarind juice
- After 2 mins, mash the cooked dal and add to pan.
- Take another pan, pour one spoon of oil and add the mustard seeds and the rest of the seasoning after the seeds break
- Pour this mixture into the rasam pan
- Your Rasam is ready.
Rasam can be had with rice or as a soup. It also makes an interesting dish to have with hot vadais.